29.01.2013 - 29.01.2013 34 °C
Where We Are Right Now?
Currently in Ko Samui, Thailand. After a bit of a quick synopses we decided to tack course and skip Cambodia for now as it the very eventful lead up to TET or the Chinese New Year and combined with the higher prices flying out of Cambodia and our desire to maximise on the visa period in Thailand we decided to head to the Thailand peninsula and more specifically the hub island of the gulf coast - Ko Samui.
Cambodia looks way more cost effective back end of Feb and March time, even from KL or BK so hoping to fit that region in then.
Strangely, if you fly into Thailand you get a 30 day visa but if you go overland you only get 15 days, so in order to try and keep our options open and maximise our potential time in Thailand we decided flying into Thailand was the best option.
So in summary, within 24 hrs, 2 flights, 4 cab rides, 1 bus ride, 1 catamaran trip and a 4 hr nap at a dodgy airport hotel in BK between flights we had finally traversed over from Saigon / HCMC to the Thai island setting.
POA (plan of action) moving forward is to take in the islands of the gulf, potentially visit a national park on the mainland and make our way over to the west cost.
- Blomming - the holding of a voluntary position, preferably horizontal and outdoors, of motionless action to preserve energy and maximise contemplation and reflection, which can at times progress to an advanced state of deep sleep, but then you are dossing and not blomming anymore.
- Munchkinite jarite - a penis shaped Vietnamese salami made of meat of unknown origin and type usually sold by an old wrinkley dude on a overloaded scooter with Polystyrene containers and a load hailer attached bellowing chanting and mesmerising tones. This normally is enough to attract hoards of locals who find this item an absolute delicacy.
- Ripping it to another level - locals taking insane and completely unwarranted advantage of tourists, normally at the most inopportune time - when tourists are tired, exhausted and weirry after long travels.
- Travel wobbly - an inopportune and unforeseen state of disorientation and travel dismay, normally brought about by amongst other things, thirst, hunger, an over endulgence of local culture or an overwhelming choice of opportunities or at times lack of options within an environ of locals playing ripping it to another level. Remedies to a travel wobbly include, for Cath: a snack of sticky mango rice, followed by a massage and a nap. For Greg, cold cold beer, possible some kind of western food and a bit of a blom somewhere preferably near water or in long grass in the shade.
- Travel gremlin - an advanced extreme state of travel wobbliness lasting more than a couple of hours. Remedied by prolonged treatment as detailed in a travel wobbly. Further to this a more applied glam-packing setting is required with the potential scheduling of a strat meeting to tack course or change focus and or direction.
- Stat Meeting - Strategy Meeting to table ideas, focus attention and get a game plan on.
- Glam-Packing - an "upgladed" version of back packing, maximising utility and value added comfort and an improvement in setting, normally accommodation. Glam-Packing is a major remedy to any onset of a travel gremlin or advanced stages of the Travel Wobblies.